Sunday, May 5, 2013

Cookie Karma and Pantry Progress

Cookie Karma

Last week my husband, Matt, was out of town with his unit.  As they were setting up he lost his phone.  I found out when his buddy let Matt use his phone to call me.  I got a call every night from the same number; his buddy let him call me from his phone.  I asked Matt to find out what his favorite cookies are and I'd make him a batch.  Turns out his favorite are sugar cookies, sans frosting.

I've made sugar cookies, but it's been a while....two or three years, at least.  The last time I made them was as a joint effort to the tune of five batches and enough cookies to cover my mom's counters, dining room table with both leaves, and two hutches.  This single batch has made 20 cookies so far and I have 1/3 of the dough left to bake!

The recipe is my great-grandmother's and is from an age where "mix ingredients" translated to order and individual steps beyond those two deceptively simple words.  There's an order, a rhythm, and if you go astray those cookies will turn out awful.  I'm happy to say the recipe converted to dairy free quite nicely; Earth Balance butter is a great substitute!!  The almond milk I used gave a nice light almond undertone to the cookies (and dough!).

I'm hoping Matt's buddy likes them as much as we do :)

Pantry in Progress

I mentioned at the last check in that I wanted to get containers before moving to the next phase.  I took

a tangent and decided to run measurement numbers first.  My pantry had a bunch of nails around the top that got my gears turning: could I move the shelves down and tackle two (or three) problem areas in one go?  The drawer my pans were stored in worked well enough, unless I needed the stock pan or the dutch oven; to get either of those I had to empty all of the other pans out first.  Then there was the large skillet; it wouldn't fit in the drawer, and had to go in a separate cupboard.  Then there were the lids, which mostly fit in a long, shallow drawer but had to be in there just so or it wouldn't close.  This culminated into a system that drove me absolutely batty every time I needed pans and/or lids.

I measured my two largest skillets, handles included, and worked with heights in the pantry.  My bottom shelf was as short as it could be, thanks to a pipe in the back of the pantry.  I measured bottles and storage containers, and decided all tall items would fit just fine on the bottom of the pantry.

Armed with a tape measurer and a pair of pliers, I rearranged the shelf heights.  I'll probably rearrange the contents again when I redo my spice cabinet (I have space I can use there).  The pantry is still not "done," but I'm happy with the domino effect to the rest of the kitchen!  I moved some of my casserole dishes to the drawer the pans were in, which let me put that cupboard in order; all of the lids are in there too, which freed up the long, shallow drawer they were in.  With that drawer empty, I put the specialty utensils (the apple corer I use to make tarts, the base for my ice cream maker--for the other stand mixer style--, the ravioli mold and mini roller...that kind of thing) in the drawer.  It's not in the main flow of the kitchen, but it's still accessible.  It also freed up loads of space for my main utensil drawer!  I can find things in there now!!


That's it for today.  Eat Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment