Monday, April 22, 2013

Pad Thai and My Pantry Project

Pad Thai

Dinner was Pad Thai tonight.  This is a staple dinner for me.  It's super easy, super quick, and filling.  Normally I use soba noodles, but I didn't have any in the pantry.  Instead, I used spiral pasta.  It was quite tasty!  If you're looking for something easy, this is it.  The base recipe I started with all those months ago was simple...and bland.  I've zinged it up a bit...which also added calories, because I upped the peanut butter too.  Even as a staple, I try to only make it once a month.  It makes a better backup than spaghetti with marinara; nothing against it, but variety in backups means we're less likely to eat out.

For the recipe, scroll to the bottom!

Pantry Projects

I love my kitchen in this house.  The only catch is I miss the plethora of pantry space in my old kitchen.  I have enough space, but the layout is more awkward.  As I have a little OCD, and my kitchen is a sore spot with me.  I've been itching to redo the cupboards.  I can't redo the kitchen in a permanent fashion (rental, you see) but I can change my food storage to match the new pantry.  I've gone from lots of shallow cupboards to one really deep one, and that takes a completely different approach.

I've searched images and scoured the web for inspiration.  I think I've finally figured out an approach...or at least, the first steps.  The biggest issue I'm having is I have no idea what's in there anymore, and not knowing what is there is a huge hurdle to organizing it.  I've made some simple spread sheets (think: graph paper lists) to document what I have, what needs a storage container, what needs just a simple container (like this can sorting idea), that kind of thing.  The hope is to have a newly organized pantry in the next couple weeks.

I'll post my progress!

That's it for tonight.

Eat Happy!


Pad Thai


  • 2 bundles soba noodles or 3/4 cup cooked pasta


  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1-2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1-3 tbs minced ginger


  • 1/4 cup oil (olive, canola, vegetable)
  • 2-4 eggs (do not pre-scramble)
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup mushrooms (Broccoli, sprouts, etc)

Sauce:


  • 1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
  • 2 tbs fish sauce
  • 2 tbs brown sugar
  • Hot sauce of your choice to taste
  • Red pepper flakes for garnish

Let's get cooking:


  1. Cook your pasta of choice per the package directions.  Drain and set aside.
  2. Melt butter in a wok or deep skillet
  3. Cook the chicken in the butter; when it is almost cooked through, add the ginger.
  4. When the chicken is cooked, remove from the wok
  5. Add the oil to the pan and heat
  6. When the oil is hot, add the eggs and scramble in the oil (seriously, it makes a difference to scramble in the hot pan versus in a bowl)
  7. As the eggs start to set, add the garlic and bell peppers and any other firm veggies.
  8. Add the mushrooms and any other soft veggies before the eggs are completely set
  9. Add the chicken to the mix, and add the sauce; stir to completely coat and incorporate sauce (the peanut butter will melt in the warm wok, just give it a little time and stir often
  10. Toss with your pasta of choice; serve hot with red pepper flakes for more heat

No comments:

Post a Comment